UNION - MALL KELAPA GADING

Greetings to all of you, my fellow readers! First of all, I know I have been quite off with my blog over the past few months and I have been creating more contents on my Instagram page (@richienakata) instead. As I have mentioned in my previous blog post, my first term in university was quite packed that I could not really put my blog as priority. Not only that, yet we all know that current situations due to COVID-19 have been all over the place and I myself have been staying at home until this day. If you are new to my blog, welcome and thank you for coming over! Also, if you are not aware yet, I am based in Jakarta, Indonesia and we are currently undergoing the transitional phase or also referred as the "New Normal". At the moment, restaurants in town have mostly reopened (although not all yet). Though it is still not advised to dine outside, yet I believe some of us may find the need to if we have begun with our activities outside. Either ways, make sure to always stay safe and healthy, plus to follow all the safety and health protocols wherever you are at. I guess that is enough yakking about a little update on current situations, now I would like to share about one of the restaurants in the neighborhood which has been my absolute go-to ever since they opened.

UNION Group is one of the most renowned F&B establishments in town. They have multiple dining venues (restaurants, eateries, bars) all around Jakarta and they have been nothing but really successful with every single venue that they run. UNION itself becomes the heart of the establishment and I guess pretty much the most accessible with multiple outlets around town as well. I myself have enjoyed dining at UNION before they opened here in Kelapa Gading and I could not be more excited when I knew that they were opening at Mall Kelapa Gading! They are located strategically right at the lobby of MKG-3 and they reside quite a space there. To be honest, I first had a bit of doubts when they decided to expand their market to Kelapa Gading since their range is considerably tad high for the general culinary scene here in the neighborhood. However, every single UNION Group establishment has always been successful and they have been doing brilliantly here in Kelapa Gading! Tables are always booked and people also enjoy takeaways. This place has simply become my favorite place to catch up with my friends over their classic, foolproof meals.

Looking at their menu, the dishes served are pretty much just like what they have at their other outlets. Here at UNION, they update their menu every month (although the changes are not too much from month to month). They also have seasonal menus once in a while, so make sure to keep yourselves updated through their social media channels. I usually keep myself updated through their Instagram page (@unionjkt). One of the most sought-after things in UNION has to be their selection of cakes and pastries, which is helmed by the amazing Chef Karen Carlotta (while for the dishes, the mind behind them is Chef Karen's husband, Chef Adhika Maxi - they are simply a dynamic duo behind UNION and their very own AMKC)! Every time UNION comes up with a new creation of cake or pastry, people are always going wild for any of it. May it be the classic or permanent ones or the seasonal ones, UNION's cakes are generally very enjoyable and well-made.

THAI TEA CAKE

One of my favorites from UNION is their Thai Tea Cake. First of all, do note that this one is only available at their Kelapa Gading outlet. Every time I go back to their outlet here at Mall Kelapa Gading, I just cannot resist to have this amazing creation. Sharing you my opinion as someone who does not really enjoy desserts in general, I really loved the idea of highlighting the flavor of Thai Tea in various forms and textures. Their custard and ganache were spot-on. Though overall, this was tad too sweet for my liking (overall still quite tolerable), yet I could capture the authentic thai tea flavor really well. I was specifically delighted to find small Thai Tea jelly cubes inside the cake (another treat to give emphasis to thai tea as the highlight of this cake). I think they did an amazing job of preserving not only the various forms and textures in each layer, yet also the temperature (the jelly cubes were cold so it gives a little exciting twist right there). So, if you ask me whether this one is actually worth trying or not, my answer would be a solid YES! In fact, this one is byfar one that I enjoy more than their notable classics. Oh, if you are not familiar yet, they serve their cakes by the slice or you can also order them as a whole. Their slice is quite huge portion-wise that I can even share one slice with my friends over some other meals on the side.




RED VELVET CAKE

Alright, this legendary and cult-favorite Red Velvet Cake does not need much further introduction as this one has been one of, if not the most sought-after cake in UNION for years (again, shoutout to the amazing pastry chef Karen Carlotta for this groundbreaking creation). I admire her works and beautifully-crafted cakes and pastries. You might actually argue with me, yet this one actually does not belong in my top favorites, to be honest. If you ask me to choose between their Red Velvet Cake or Thai Tea Cake, I have to say that I would go with their Thai Tea Cake. I know those two are very different and simply not parallel to be compared, yet what I mean is that I do not find myself reaching for this cult-favorite at all times. However, I have to say that this Red Velvet Cake is still amazing with fantastic even layers and texture with the overall nice and classic flavor to be savored. The proper amount of cream cheese creates the great balance which prevents the whole cake to become overly sweet for me. Though I find this one to be too sweet for my liking, I cannot simply judge something based on my personal non-sweet preference (especially when it comes to cakes and desserts like this) because I have to admit that this one is definitely safe and amicable. 

ANYWAYS, they also have the pie and doughnut version of this cult-favorite Red Velvet variant and I LOVE their doughnut version. Now if the cake version may not be one that I simply reach for, their Red Velvet Doughnut is a champ! Definitely recommending their doughnuts as well (again, well-made and very amicable with various selections to choose from).



How about their main dishes? I apologize for the unavailability of photos, yet I always find their food to be simply enjoyable and foolproof! UNION is the kind of place when you can just order anything simple from their menu and have them served really nicely. They surely set a fine standard in their cooking and I have always been satisfied with what they have (even their take on the most classic Nasi Goreng is brilliant)! My go-to would be their pasta, such as their Truffle Tagliatelle or Pork Crackling Spaghetti. I also like to catch up with their seasonal menus and exclusive events (when sometimes Chef Adhika Maxi can come over to cook for the night once in a while). Again, make sure to keep yourselves updated through their social media channels in order to not miss out!

Now speaking about the ambiance of their Mall Kelapa Gading outlet, I think the overall style and tone of the interior in all UNION outlets are pretty much similar and aligned. They have their own signature character that is simply nice and proper. I do love their seating arrangement here and I always love how they pay attention to little details of their interior elements. Here in their Kelapa Gading outlet, you will find a wall full of framed pictures (nicely curated and very artistic to suit the theme) and some other elements that are not overly done, just nice and very proper.




Their outlets have now reopened with their new normal dine-in protocols. Make sure to reserve your tables in advance (I usually use Chope to make my reservations here). They also implement basic safety protocols, such as temperature check, QR Code scanning, hand sanitizer, face mask, distancing and limited dining capacity, along with cashless payment to ensure your health and safety while dining in their establishments.


UNION
Mall Kelapa Gading 3 Lantai Dasar (Lobby)
Jalan Boulevard Raya Blok M No. 4 
Kelapa Gading Timur RT.13/RW.18, RT.13/RW.18, 
East Kelapa Gading, Kelapa Gading, 
North Jakarta City, Jakarta 14240
Opening Hours (New Normal): 11AM-8PM
Instagram: @unionjkt
Phone: +622145864978 


You can also make reservations through Chope and earn Chope Dollars from each reservation by simply clicking this link: https://www.chope.co/jakarta-restaurants/restaurant/union-mall-kelapa-gading / Also, make sure to sign up for U+ Rewards to earn benefits and rewards from all dining venues under the UNION Group.



I N S T A G R A M
@richienakata

Z O M A T O
@richienakata



Union Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular Posts